- Sketchbook — Creating and managing drawings
- Start drawing
Sketchbook — Creating and managing drawings
The sketchbook screen is the first screen you see upon opening Amaziograph. It is the home for all the drawings you have created, and gives you options to create new drawings or manage your existing drawings
Creating a new drawing
From the Create New section select the symmetry you wish to draw with. This is not a binding choice — you can change it later on. When you are finished drawing, tap the gallery () button to return to the sketchbook. Your file will be saved automatically.
The size button () in the upper-right corner allows you to change the size of the file you are about to create.
To create a drawing based on existing photo on your iPad, tap on the Import button in the upper-left to select a photo from the Photos library. The new drawing will have the same proportions as the original photo.
Managing your drawings
To open an existing drawing, tap on its thumbnail in the Your Gallery section.
Once when you tap Select button you can:
- Duplicate selected graphs
- Delete selected graphs
- Move selected graphs to different collections in a Sketchbook
- Share / export selected graphs ()
- The duplicate feature is very useful to create a variances of a graph.
- The collection is merely a graph’s tag and does not move its file. All graphs are stored in one folder and are visible when All Amaziographs is selected.
- Once you delete a graph, you can not restore it.
- If you can not see any of your graphs, make sure the All Amaziographs collection is selected.
You can organize your graphs (drawings) into Collections. To see your collections, tap the Collections button from the sketchbook screen. All your collections are listed in the window that appears. The current collection is marked with ✔︎ To view graphs in a different collection, tap the collection name To create a new collection tap the + button. Tap “Edit” in the small window to change collection names or delete collections To move graphs into a collection, select them as described in the previous section, and tap the folder icon.
The first step is to select one of 11th type of symmetries from Create new section.
- Kaleidoscope 60˚
- Kaleidoscope 30˚
- Hexagons + Rotation (6)
- Hexagons + Rotation (3)
- Squares + Rotation (4)
- Squares + Kaleidoscope
The number in the brackets shows how many times the rotation will be applied. Amaziograph by default uses the size of your iPad screen in pixels. For old iPad models, the screen resolution may be only 1024x768 pixels.
Before selecting symmetry you can select one of the predefined canvas sizes. Mind that while a bigger canvas gives you more space to work on, it can also lead to a lag in performance. The canvas size also can be changed later on when drawing the graph.
You also can import an image as a background by pressing camera button in new graph window. You can select an image from photos. Amaziograph will import the selected photos in the canvas and the symmetry will be turned off.
After opening a graph, you will see the canvas and selected symmetry grid. The drawing canvas has a toolbar ribbon on the top. You can zoom into the graph with two fingers. On the toolbar ribbon you have (from left to right) the following tools:
- Return to Collection view ()
- Brush tool ()
- Eraser tool ()
- Fill bucket tool ()
- Colour tool
- Last used colors
- Brush size adjustments
- Opacity adjustments
- Undo and Redo changes (could be position before Brush tool, ( )
- Layer tool ()
- Change and adjust symmetry (). It is green when Symmetry is On.
- More menu: change size, share and other settings ()
The tools can be arranged in two rows or to be on the top and on the bottom in accordance to the selected screen orientation and split.
Drawing using the Brush, Eraser and Fill bucket tool
The Brush and Eraser tool is the main tool when you want to draw. The difference between Brush and Eraser is only when you draw. With the Brush tool, you draw with the selected colour. With the Eraser tool, you remove colors to transparency. The Eraser tool allows seeing the layers bellow. You can control Brush and Eraser properties by taping on their icons and adjust:
- Shape - brush smoothness
- Line Pattern by changing Length and Ratio
- Turn On the Shape recognition function - automatic correction correct to straight line or circle. It is individual for Brush and Eraser tools
- Stylus pressure sensitivity and function: Brush size or Brush Opacity
The stylus settings are available when Apple Pencil or another supported stylus is connected. You can control the sensitivity level selecting: Low, Medium or High If you don’t need to use pressure settings, turn off React to pressure. If the stylus has buttons you can assign functions. This is not available for Apple Pencil first generation. You can select between brush Size or Opacity to be changed when pressure is applied. The Fill bucket tool allows the artist quickly to fill homogeneous colour areas with new colour. You can select colour and opacity of the bucket tool.
- When the symmetry is On the fill will be replicated in accordance with the symmetry.
- When the symmetry is Off only the selected area will be filled.
- Applying the fill bucket tool, before to start drawing, will change the background of the canvas.
- The initial canvas colour is a transparent alfa channel that can be exported in PNG format.
- The Eraser tool delete to the alpha channel (transparency).
The Amaziograph colour palette is unique with the colour mixing approach. The colour palette is designed to have the same behaviour as natural colour mixing to support students in elementary schools, not to loosing a sense of mixing colours. There is 12 base colours and user’s custom colours palette. To mix a new colour drag a colour from a base or custom colour cell to a new cell and use mix gesture to get a new colour. If you repeat a mix gesture - moving left an right the stylus or finger the new colour will get more from the selected colour till getting 100% of the selected colour. The info will show you animation hot to mixture the colours. To create a gradient colours between two colours in the custom palette, you have to select the colours by fingers and and move fingers towards each other. The cell in between will fill automatically with gradient colours. When you hold the finger or stylus on the customized colour cell and move it to the base colour section, a new menu will appear from where you can mix a new colour in HSV or RGB mixer or type a colour HEX code. To save the colour press on “Done”. To pick up colour from the canvas, tap on the custom colour cell and move your finger or pencil right to pick up the desired colour. New pop-up with information about the selected colour will appear. To clean the custom pallets section, make upper left and down right cells completely white and make a gradient between them.
Canvas size and Layers
Amaziograph supports layers. The maximum number of layers depends on the iPad model and canvas size. When you tap on the layer button you can:
- Change the layer name.
- Change the Layer order, by taping on the layer and sliding up or down.
- Hide the layer, by taping on the layer and slide left to right.
- Adjust layer opacity, by taping on the layer and slide left to right
- Clear the layer, by taping on the layer and slide right to left.
- Delete the layer by tapping on the layer and slide right to left.
At any time you can change the graph size. Tap on More button (three dots). Select Change Canvas size. Define the new size. You can select to keep the proportions or to unlock the W/H ratio and change the proportions. The minimum size is 256 px and the maximum is 4096 px. There are two options for resizing the graph: Stretch and Expand. In the Expand you can select a direction to expand the graph. You have to select where is the graph is anchored. Tap on Resize button to execute the resize. As a result, a new graph will be created with the new size. The canvas size, that is the same for all layers, is limited to 4096 x 4096 px. You also can select one of the predefined canvas sizes. If you want to print your artwork on A4 or US Letter the optimum resolution is 300 dpi (Dots per Inch). This will require a canvas size of 3508x2806 px for A4 format. For A3 format (420x297 mm) the maximum resolution is 240 dpi, due to canvas size limitations.
When you start your artwork from an imported picture, the canvas size is the picture size or scaled to fit in the limitations. The layer of the imported picture is Layer 1 by default and Symmetry is OFF.
- When you draw with the higher canvas size and many layers some lag can be observed, due to size of the file.
- If you want to draw Mandalas a square canvas size is recommended.
- To get amazing colors of your artwork, import a photo as a background, make a new layer, fill with solid colour and use the Eraser tool to draw.
Make a magic with the symmetries
Amaziograph has 11 symmetries that you can use to create breathtaking artworks: You can change the symmetry type or it’s parameters at any time by tapping on the “Symmetry tool” icon. The symmetry is assigned to a layer and every layer has its own symmetry. From the Symmetry tool you can:
- Turn OFF the symmetry .
- Show or hide the symmetry grid.
- Hide the grid when is zoomed out.
- Switch between symmetries.
- Adjust symmetry parameters.
Adjust grid too allows you to correct the symmetry grid by moving the grid pins or selecting from presets. The grid presets are different for each symmetry type.
- Mirror: Position the center pin in center of quadrants or in the canvas centre.
- Mandala: Select number of rays. Increase or decrease twice the number of rays. Position the center pin in center of quadrants or in the canvas centre. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle
- Rotation: Select number of rays. Increase or decrease twice the number of rays. Position the center pin in center of quadrants or in the canvas centre. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Kaleidoscope 60˚: Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Kaleidoscope 30˚: Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Hexagons + Rotation (6): Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Hexagons + Rotation (3): Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Hexagons: Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Rotate CCW the grid on half of the angle.
- Squares + Rotation (4): Make a grid of 3x3 or 4x4 or 4x3 cells. Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins.
- Squares + Kaleidoscope: Make a grid of 3x3 or 4x4 or 4x3 cells. Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins.
- Tiles (3 pins): Make a grid of 3x3 or 4x4 or 4x3 cells. Increase or decrease twice the distance between pins. Shift tiles by 1/3 or 1/2 distance (it looks like bricks arrangement)
Share your artworks
To share your artworks you can use there different ways:
- From Sketchbook view -> Select
- From More options -> Share
- From Collection view by drag and drop
When you use for sharing option A or B you can select how to export the drawing: as JPEG, as PNG (with transparency) or as Amaziograph file. You can share your artworks by mail or Air drop, you can save in Photos or publish in your social network. Using share as Amaziograph file you can create templates and share with your friends.
Some additional setting
Under More (), you can find Preferences and there are two very useful options: Change the position of Undo and Redo buttons - be before tools buttons )Left side) or before the Layer button (Right side) Allow to keep in history the changes of the symmetry.
Archive your drawings
To archive your drawings you can use Files on your iPad or iTunes on your computer. Connect iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Open your iPad, from mobile device icon and open File Sharing. Select Amaziograph in Apps. Select all files and drag and drop to a directory on your computer. To return files on your iPad, use iTunes, but drag and drop from the computer to Amaziograph Documents.
Open the Files app on your iPad, go to On My iPad and open Amaziograph. Select and copy the files in a directory.
How to use Shape recognition
The Shape recognition option on is On can recognize and adjust your curve to straight line or circle. The adjusted shape will keep your pressure sensitivity result (size or opacity). Some times on the option is turned On it can cause some delays.
- The Shape recognition adjust curves to lines and circle when they are pretty close to the desired shape.
- The Shape Recognition option is individual for Brush and Eraser tool.